Macallan Whisky Distillery
The fusion of building and landscape
A green domed roof structure that blends harmoniously into the hilly countryside of Scotland: The design for the distillery of renowned whisky producer "The Macallan" is unique.
The centrepiece is the timber roof construction in the form of five side-by-side domes with an overhanging canopy. The four domes of equal height house the production facility. The fifth, higher dome houses an exhibition area with a flat roof and visitor centre.
A highly complex timber dome roof
Not only architecturally is the distillery a masterpiece. Planning and assembly of the structure also called for courage, know-how and the problem-solving expertise of an experienced timber construction company.
The building consists of 1,800 individual beams, 2,700 roof panels and 380,000 individual components. The dome roof is 207 metres long and 27 metres high at its highest point. Four temporary building supports were required for the roof structure. These were constructed using a block-bonded glued laminated timber solution.
Top grades for the WIEHAG team
The general contractor is also convinced of the success of the project. Bill Robertson, owner of the Robertson Group in his assessment of the work: "The construction called not only for a good cooperation, but also a high degree of innovation and know-how that seemed to come naturally with WIEHAG. We are already looking forward to the next joint projects."
- Edrington Group
- General contractor
- Robertson Construction Group
- Arup Timber roof construction and engineering
- Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners
- Steel substructure
- SHS Stahlverarbeitung GmbH
- Total construction cost
- 140,000,000 British pounds
- WIEHAG construction period
- April to December 2016
- Overall construction period
- April 2015 to May 2018
Commendations for the Macallan Distillery
- Winner of the Structural Timber Award 2018: Engineer of the Year Award (ARUP) & Installer of the Year Award (L&S Baucon GmbH)
- Winner of the Structural Timber Award 2018: Winner of Winners Award (Arup, L&S Baucon GmbH, Robertson, Wiehag GmbH & Rogers Stirk Harbours + Partners)
- Winner des Scottish Design Award 2018: Culture and Leisure Award
- Winner of the UK Roofing Award 2017: Green Roof Award